Home
UsernamePassword
Group discussion > Specific freshwater data needs request for GBIF EU nodes

Specific freshwater data needs request for GBIF EU nodes

Aaike De Wever
1826 days ago

Dear GBIF EU-nodes representatives,

Following the EU-nodes meeting in Berlin, I circulated a request for specific data needs among the BioFresh partners. Below are two topics on which we would very much appreciate any assistance in data mobilisation;

* Macroinvertebrate data from Mediterranean basin countries: one of our partners is actively mobilising data from this region and analyses on these data are planned. We are especially looking for data from Greece and the Balkan countries for which there are obvious data gaps.

* Riverine fish community data for Europe: one of our partners is holding a large database on this topic (FAME and EFI+ reps. <http://data.freshwaterbiodiversity.eu/metaDB/BioFresh_mDB_view.php?id1=17&id2=25&id3=25&id5=20> and <http://data.freshwaterbiodiversity.eu/metaDB/BioFresh_mDB_view.php?id1=15&id2=19&id3=19&id5=14>), but identified a number of important data gaps, namely for the following regions:
- Ireland, northern part of UK

- Denmark, Norway,
- all eastern countries except Poland (although the number of sites is limited), Hungary, Romania and Lithuania
The type of data we are looking for in order to include this in our analyses is quite specific. We are looking for site-referenced, community data (i.e. abundance data assignable to a river). Ideally, we are also looking for associated environmental data.

Any ideas on how we could fill these data gaps would be highly appreciated. Please don't hesitate to contact me at <aaike.dewever@naturalsciences.be> with any suggestions or questions.

With best regards,
--
Aaike De Wever

Aaike De Wever
1818 days ago

Some more background on this:

* The fish data will be used in “Local-grain (site-specific), European-scale model for fish communities in rivers” – contemporary and predictive modeling work. These models will also consider other stressors apart from climate (for the data in the catchment analyses, surrogates out of population density and land use (current situation CORINE – future projection ALARM) will be evaluated. In further steps, impact of human stressors (impoundment, hydromorpholical degredation,…) will be implemented. Possibly, case studies focussing on smaller scale e.g. to study dispersal abilities/migration barriers, will be done.

* The second request originates from a side project on mediterranean rivers, MacroMED. Mediterranean rivers host a high and endemic biodiversity, and are being considered unique freshwater ecosystems. In this project we will compile and merge data of existent macroinvertebrate taxa from med-rivers over the world (Mediterranean Basin, South Africa, Chile, California, and Australia). Specifically, this project will target occurrence/abundance data and life history traits information of riverine macroinvertebrates. These data will provide advances on (1) improving current knowledge of patterns of biodiversity and identifying the gaps of knowledge (e.g. areas that have been insufficiently or never prospected), (2) building future species distribution scenarios under forecasts of global change (i.e. climate change and species invasiveness), and (3) evaluating accurately the taxa responses to climate change (i.e. identifying biological thresholds, most sensitive species).